March 26, 2009

Once Upon A Time..

It started in 2003 when i possessed this Proton Satria brand spanking new. I was so attracted for an used Civic EG's but the price back that time (up until now; 2009!!) really turned me off. I got this car in Tengku Mahaleel's era (the time which caused the downfall of Proton's brandname; QC issues and bad aftersale services), rattling panel, squeaking boot, INTOLERABLE NVH (mind you when i say intolerable, i really mean it). It seems like the car came without sound insulator from the factory. Great for road runner but annoying enough for an everage joe, say like myself. Imagine you can hear the road noise really bad at 50km/h and the sound of the engine which barely rev around 2500rpm. When i filed my complaint to the dealer while attending my 1st service, the usual and common Proton SC dealer (now even spread'ed to Toyota's SC too) answer, "Ini biasa la.." *sigh

I went for a so-called Taiwanese K-Speed 15X6.5 wheels (but I was told the factory is at Sg Buloh) combo'ed with 195/50 Goodyear Eagle GSD tyres (which already obselete back in 2005 if I'm not mistaken). Use with stock damper, a set of super cheap APM Sportec lowered coil springs were combined. Handling wise; ok-lah. Grip-wise; so-so. The tyre tend to be noisy after 6 months.
It was expected then since it wasn't a comfort nor a performer tyre.
The trend back that time was a 5" tachometer, and I ashamedly have to admit, did owned one courtesy of my rich-family friend (pinjam je). It was the entry level of Autogage series from Autometer. The tach utilize vacuum mechanism to operate the needle unlike most tachometers which had spring mechanism in them. This provide accurate and steady rpm reading and the amber coloured shift light was very very bright. You can't miss it when it emits. Unfortunately, powered by 1.3L SOHC 12-valve engine, to see the shift light emits (I set at 6300rpm) was quite pain-in-the-ass to wait though.

Nothing much inside the engine bay except for the some extra goodies which do more on show than go. A cheap Brother's strut bar was installed together with 8-gauge 5-point earth wire kit and drop-in panel filter.

No comments:

Post a Comment