May 21, 2009

The $600 Black Belt

I always smell some burning oil after driving particularly after some spirited sessions. At first I've thought it came from the valve cover seal but it wasn't. So one day I went to my-trusted-and-always-busy mech and found that my crankcase oil seals were leaked. To add insult to the injury, my 30,000 km's cam belt was soaked with engine oil too (the belt was quite damp). This shit was discovered right few days after I've changed the suspension bushings. Since driving a car with a worn belt is like having a ticking time bomb, I try not to be a smartass to hold it any longer and change it right away.

And I was right, the cam belt was so worn and the were few visible cracks all over it. On an interference engine, this is a serious matter to look after. Once the belt snapped while the engine is operating, you can kiss the head parts goodbye. Getting the head replacement part for the MIVEC ain't cheap either, especially nowadays. Hell, even the cheap cam cover gasket cost almost $80 (the one you can get less than $30 for 4G93 DOHC). Everything that falls under the name of so-called mighty JDM part is expensive. *Sigh...


No comments:

Post a Comment