April 13, 2009

Mind Your Head'er Part 2

My custom made header is giving me such a headache since it hung a bit too low from the ground. Entering basement car park is a nightmare. After numerous scratches and curses, I have decided to get a basic 4-2-1 configuration header, which will give me plenty of ground clearance so I don't have to look like a retard when driving over our non-standardize speed humps.

I hate chromed headers as the decorative layer tend to chip or peel off over time, but yet cant afford for a decent Japanese stainless steel header as they come with a hefty price tag, even for a old rusty used one. To my surprise, the newer batch of Hotbits header for 4G92 is made from stainless steel (but I've no clue what grade they are using). I called Speedwork to quote the price and it was within my budget range. So i went to the Jln 222 PJ branch on that weekend.

Installation took around 1 1/2 hour. One very good tip to remember, make sure you wipe off your finger print on the header before you start the engine. Once the print heated, there's no chance it will come off. You've been warned. After few minutes of spirited run, the header turn into gold'ish colour which really stand out from the crowd of dull black colour all over the engine compartment. The performance of this header is great at low and mid range while my old custom made header was better at high end. Town driving has never been better but a bit out of oomppphhh once the rev is over 7k. I think the 2" collector which is a bit small is quite restrictive for top end power. Nevertheless, in term of performance, price and quality-wise, I think this is a good upgrade. Not the greatest but surely much better compared to the factory manifold.

2 comments: